shrub or bush - Knowledgebase Question

White Bear Lake, Mi
Question by terismann
Can you please suggest what kind of shrub or bush I should plant between pink pixie lily's they would go between three to four groups of the lily's but I would like them to accent the pink pixie lily's and look very pretty in between them. Can you PLEASE HELP? I'm new at this, Thank-You!

Bellflowers (campanulas) are among my favorites as lily companions. The peach-leaved bellflower, Campanula persicifolia is 2-3 feet tall with spikes of clear, medium blue, bell-shaped flowers, about 2" long and an inch wide, which face outwards. It is also available in white, and both grow well in full sun or partial shade. It blooms over a fairly long period, usually all of July when most of the lilies are in bloom. In my yard, it often continues to give blossoms well into September.

There are many different bellflowers available for the garden ranging the height from 6" ground cover to 24-36" mid to back border size. My other top pick from this genus is the clustered bellflower, Campanula glomerata. It blooms in early and mid summer, and in my yard it grows between 18 to 24" in height. The blooms are medium to dark blue and are, as the name suggests, clustered along the bloom spike. The plant forms a low, spreading mat of leaves from which the bloom spikes arise. My all-time favorite bellflower is C. glomerata "Caroline" which is a lovely lilac color with pinkish throat. I am also impressed with the white form of the clustered bellflower. The blossoms are very clean white and look good with any lily color.

For all around toughness, hardiness, and bug and disease resistance, I give high praise to the gas plant Dictamnus albus. In my yard it grows about 2-3 feet in height and produces racemes of pale pink flowers with darker veining for a few weeks starting in June. The plant gives off a lemony fragrance, from leaves as well as flowers. I am sure that the oils in the plant that give it the pleasant smell, act as a bug deterrent, as I have never seen any sign of insect damage on it. The compound leaves are dark, glossy green and very attractive. Gas plant is a bit slow to establish and hates to be moved, but once settled in it is a very durable and long-lived plant.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"