African Violets - Knowledgebase Question

Grahamsville, Ne
Question by dottieg
A few weeks ago I purchased 2 african violets from your store. I water them from the bottom, but the leaves are turning yellow and brown and the soil on the top is hard and dry. What am I doing wrong and how often should I water them?

Keeping water off the foliage is a good idea, but I don't think your plants are getting quite enough water. Try setting the pots in a larger container of water and leaving them there for about 10 minutes or until air bubbles stop rising to the surface. This will saturate the soil and give your plants a fresh start. When the top of the soil just starts to dry out, water again - until the water drips out of the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot. I think instead of trying to water from the bottom you'll be better off investing a couple of dollars in a watering can with a long, curved spout. This way you can place the spout on the soil surface and tip the can to water your plants and you'll still be able to keep the water off the leaves. Snip off the dead and yellowing leaves to promote the growth of healthy new leaves. Best wishes with your African Violets.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"