Prep for sod - Knowledgebase Question

Tampa, Fl
Question by rain33615
I now its late May. I live in a development in Tampa, FL. the grass is non existent. it is now a patch of dirt or rather hard sand few weeds and some tree roots. its a 10'X6' garden. how do I prepare the soil for sod? Obviously I have to take matters into my own hands if I want to see some grass at my entrance. please advise.

0

You can prepare the soil by first raking to remove rocks and other debris. If the soil is hard, you can spread 2-3 inches of compost or other organic matter over the top and dig it in to a depth of 6-8 inches. You can do this with a shovel but a rototiller will make fast work of the job. Before digging in the compost, spread some starter fertilizer over the top (that's what it's called - look for packages in the garden center). Dig everything into the soil, then rake to level the area. You can use a sod roller filled 1/3 full with water and roll the entire area to compact the soil and make sure all areas are level. After laying the sod, use the sod roller again to roll the lawn to make sure the sod makes good contact with the soil. Best wishes with your project.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"