brown leaves on new plam growth - Knowledgebase Question

Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Question by haydeeullfig
I just noticed that new growth on one of my palms is brown. Is it some type of beetle? What can I treat it with? I have photos but I can't send them to you via this web site. I also work at home depot outside garden, so it would be helpful to know so that I can then teach the customers. The palms are not coconut palms, royal palms, queen palms, foxtail palms. I don't really know its name.

Any new plant will need an adjustment period once you bring it home. The conditions in which it was originally growing are probably much different than the growing conditions in your home or landscape. Light levels, temperatures and even humidity levels can all be drastically different than the greenhouse conditions it was originally growing. Palms are usually pretty adaptable so you may only need to be patient with them. As a rule, most palms need lots of bright light indoors and full sun outdoors - although there are some exceptions. They should be thoroughly watered and then the top of the soil needs to dry out slightly before watering again. Indoors, keep them out of drafts from air conditioner or heating vents and in bright light but not direct sunshine. Outdoors, give them full sunshine. Yellowing usually indicates overwatering; browning can indicate overfertilization or overly saturated soils for an extended period of time. Be sure the planting site drains well and that you allow the soil to dry out slightly between waterings. Just continue giving your palms TLC and some time to adjust. Just as a side note, insect and disease problems don't usually appear right away on a new plant. Cultural problems are the most common reasons for browning or yellowing foliage in a newly acquired plant. Best wishes with your palms!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"