Pruning Plants - Knowledgebase Question

wentzville, Mi
Question by bngenz
I have asiatic Lilys and hosta plants and am wondering what you are supposed to do in the winter when the plants start to look bad/die. Do you cut them back? and if so how far? Do you do this with all perrinials?

Any plant in your garden that regularly freezes down to ground level in the winter can be safely pruned back after your first frost of the season. I cut the lily stems down to ground level and remove the hosta leaves after they have been killed by frost and then mulch over the top of the plant with a few inches of compost, pine needles, or other organic matter to help protect the roots of the plants. You can brush away this mulch material in the spring just as new growth begins. Hope this answers your question!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"