growing seeds - Knowledgebase Question

hutto, Te
Question by charleskrenz
I have some green bulbs off of a red yucca, but I have read that they need to dry on the plant before they can be opened then planted. Can I expect that they wont germinate if I let them dry not on the plant

What you've read is true. Any seed you harvest should remain on the plant until it is fully ripened. If you harvest them before the seed pods turn brown and begin to crack open, the seeds won't be mature and probably won't sprout.

For best results, collect the seeds just as the seedpod is starting to crack open. Remove the seeds from the pods, allow them to dry, and store in a cool dark location for the winter. Start the seeds indoors when you start your other transplants or wait until the danger of frost has passed and soil has warmed to 55 degrees. It takes 4 to 6 weeks for the seeds to germinate. Some gardeners soak the seeds overnight before planting. Sow more seeds than the number of plants you want since germination is often erratic. If the majority of seeds sprout, you will have lots of seedlings to share.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"