Hibiscus - Knowledgebase Question

Louisville, Ke
Question by djewell2009
I have a question about my hibicus plant. I want to know do my plants suppose to look like they are dry and dead, and will they turn green and start blooming? how long long will it take and should I keep putting plant food on them?

0

There are two types of hibiscus - hardy and tropical. Hardy hibiscus can die down to ground level in cold winter weather but the roots will send up new sprouts in the spring. They can be slow to show new growth, though, so it may be too early to tell if your plant is healthy or dead. Wait another few weeks to see if it sprouts. You can even cut it down to ground level now to see if that will encourage new growth.

Tropical hibiscus, the kinds with shiny green leaves, is an evergreen plant. It won't survive winter weather outdoors but if you've kept yours inside where it's warm, it should retain its glossy leaves. If yours does not have leaves, scrape the branches with your fingernail to see if you can find green tissue just beneath the bark. If so, your plant is still alive; if not, it's dead. Hope this information helps you determine whether or not your hibiscus will sprout for you!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"