Hydrangeas - Knowledgebase Question

Cotuit, Ma
Question by Lyons13
I bought 2 hydrangeas a few weeks ago and planted them, we had a killing frost and now the leaves are all brown and the buds look dead also. What can I do to save them, think they will come back next year but in the mean time, can I put them in containers and replant in the fall? I would like to remove them as they look awful in my front yard and plant new ones in their place.

0

I think your hydrangeas will recover once the weather warms up. You can prune off the damage from the frost and new shoots and leaves will emerge. Give them a few weeks to recover and you probably won't even notice they were damaged. Hydrangeas are fast growers when the weather is warm.

You can dig and transplant them into containers if they still look pathetic by mid-June. Hope they recover soon!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"