Lawns - Knowledgebase Question

commack, Ne
Question by jimmargs
I live in Commack n.y. Why is my lawn turning yellow? We put fertilizer down in march & also seeded. It looked great until now. We will be putting down fertilizer&lime down at the end of May.

If you fed in March, your lawn should be nice and green now - especially if you overseeded. Yellowing lawn can indicate over watering (or poorly draining soil) or it might be that you overseeded with a cool season grass and now that the weather is warming up, the cool season grass is going dormant. Check the type of seeds you used on your lawn. A warm season grass will remain green during the summer months; a cool season grass will be green in the spring and in the fall, but not in the summer. Lime will help raise the soil's pH if it is acidic and can help to green up your turf. Feeding later this month should also help green it up. Hope you see an improvement in June!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"