Dwarf Alberta Spruce - Knowledgebase Question

Kewanna, In
Question by betharata
I bought 7 Dwarf Alberta Spruces and planted them according to the directions. After planting and removing all the tags I noticed that there were two styles of tags. Looking at the tags carefully I noticed that they differed in spacing and height and width of the shrubs. I was wondering why one tag says 12' T and 10' W and the other says 5-6' T and 36

0

Picea Glauca Conica is the botanical name for the smaller, cone shaped evergreen tree commonly known as the Dwarf Alberta Spruce. The foliage is compact and bright green, the needles are short and tightly placed. Dwarf Alberta Spruce grows only 2 to 4 inches per year and reaches a mature height of 8-10 feet and width of 3-4 feet in 25 years. The variance in size has more to do with the growing environment than anything else. I suspect the differences in the sizes on the plant tags is that one indicates the size at 10 years and the other at complete maturity (25 years). You'll want to space yours at least 3' apart so there will be adequate air circulation all around. Hope this clarifies things for you.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"