hibiscus plant question - Knowledgebase Question

Louisville, Ke
Question by djewell2009
Do they suppose to feel soft to the touch and on one of the plant the bark at the bottom looks black. They both have shiny leaves and I had planted them in the ground April 30th so wait a little longer. One looks like it has little cotton balls on it where the flowers were is that a good sign or bad one Help me cause this is our first time owning hibicus plants,and this will prepare for next year

The stems should feel rigid but you should be able to bend them without too much trouble. Usually the stems where the flowers attach are soft to the touch. Little cotton balls may be mealybugs or cottony scale insects. See if you can peel them off the plant and squish them. If they are insects they will have fluid inside. If they are insects, prune off all the infested plant parts to get rid of them. The black bark might indicate a fungal growth - maybe from too much water sitting in the area around the base of the plant? The water you apply to the plant should drain down into the soil rather than sit on top. I hope this information is helpful.

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"