Peach thieves - Knowledgebase Question

Suffolk, Vi
Question by mbillet
Do you know of a way to keep squirrels from stealing ALL the peaches from our tree? We tried the net approach one year only to have to call animal control when a squirrel's leg became twisted up in the net. Every year they get all the peaches before they've had a chance to grow and ripen. Frustrating!! Thanks for any help you can give.

Here are a few suggestions. Squirrels are smart and will catch on to scare tactics so you'll probably need to use a combination of tactics. Scare devices: Hang scare eye balloowns, fake owls, flash tape or even old CDs (their shiny surfaces reflect light) in the branches. Depending on how low the lowest branches are, you could create an inverted cone shield around the trunk to prevent the critters from climbing. However, if the lowest branches are within squirrel jumping distance -- or if there are other trees around that the squirrels could jump from, this won't help. Repellants: There are commercial rodent repellants available; read labels carefully to make sure the repellant is labelled for use on fruit trees. I'm not sure you'd want to spray anything on the fruit to make it taste bad since you'll be eating the fruit. I hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"