live again - Knowledgebase Question

Glen Burnie, Ma
Question by mymistye
My poor boxwood bushes have not grown much,they don't look healthy at all
One look like it has some-
thing like scales or fung
growing on it but it not dead,and the smallest bush is the same size since 3yr ago.Help:{

Boxwoods are usually easy to grow so I'm sure yours are struggling, either with the soil or with their exposure to sunshine. Diseases and insect infestations are more common on plants that are only marginally healthy (for some reason the plants are more susceptible when they are struggling). I don't know whether you can nurse your boxwoods back to health or if it would be easier to remove them and replace them with healthy specimens. Pruning usually encourages healthy new growth and pruning yours back might also remove some of the insect/disease your plants have developed. Try pruning as a first step. It will also help to have the insect/disease identified so you know how to treat it. Why not take a sample of the affected stems/leaves to your local cooperative extension or well staffed nursery for help with the diagnosis? Contact Maryland Cooperative Extension-University of Maryland, 7320 Ritchie Highway, Glen Burnie, MD 21061. Best wishes with your boxwoods.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"