beets & carrotts stunted growth - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, Fl
Question by kaygfox
I harvested my beets & carrots and the tops were lovely and full and the root plants were stunted and small...what can I do better next time? Thanks, Jacksonville. FL

Root crops grow best in a deep, loose soil that retains moisture yet is well-draining. Amending your soil with compost or other organic matter will help loosen it. You might want to have your soil tested: root crops do not grow well in very acidic soils. The optimum pH range is between 6 and 6.5 for vegetables. Proper watering can make the difference between good production and poor production. Vegetables need at least 1 inch of water from rainfall or irrigation each week during the growing season. Always soak the soil thoroughly when watering. This helps to promote good root development. Hope you have a better harvest next time!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"