Jane Magnolia bush or tree - Knowledgebase Question

Huntington, Te
Question by pws3
I gave my grandma a Jane magnolia last year for mothers day. She really wanted a tulip tree. Can't find those anywhere. This year it is got the most green foliage on it, but no blooms yet. Does it need fertilizer? and if so what kind? What are we doing wrong? She has it in a big pot planter. I would say about a 10-15 gallon pot planter. Please help. Thanks Rachelle

Liriodendron tulipifera, is commonly known as the tulip tree, American tulip tree, tuliptree, tulip poplar or yellow poplar. They should be readily available in your area so you might want to ask at your local garden center.

Jane magnolia needs at least 6 hours of sunshine a day in order to bloom and if the flower buds are forming but you get a late frost, it can kill the flower buds. As long as your plant is getting adequate sunshine, it will bloom when the weather is just right for it.

Best wishes with your magnolia!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"