powdery or downy mildew - Knowledgebase Question

San Diego, Ca
Question by babu2001c
My pumpkin plant leaves got white patchy stuff over it... the new leaves are ok for some days and then shows the infection and dying very quickly. What shoud I apply. Please suggest. Thanks.

Powdery mildew is on the upper leaf surfaces and looks like a white, powdery coating. Downy mildew is generally on the undersides of the leaves and looks like gray felt. Pumpkins and other squash plants grow best in the long, warm summer days. When nighttime temperatures get cool, especially cool and moist, the leaves become susceptible to powdery mildew. The fungicide, chlorothalonil (e.g. Daconil 2787), can be used on a preventative basis in home gardens. Sprays should begin at the first sign of disease and continue every 7-10 days thereafter.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"