why my dogwood wont' stay alive - Knowledgebase Question

Alexandria, Ke
Question by msw1
I have a white dogwood, we planted it 2 weeks ago and already it is dieing. We have 5 altogether and it looks like we may lose 2. Can you tell me what to do to help the others?

0

It's normal for newly planted landscape trees and shrubs to go through a little transplant shock. They usually adjust within 3-4 weeks and begin to recover. The best thing to do after planting is to water your new trees on a regular basis. Try making waterin basins or water wells beneath each tree by mounding up a few inches of soil all around, about 12" away from the trunk of the tree. Fill the basin with water, allow to drain, then fill a second time. Watering in this way concentrates the moisture directly over the rootmass and allows it to trickle down, wetting the entire root system. Water once a week. I think you'll see some improvement in your dogwoods as soon as the roots re-establish themselves. Best wishes with your new dogwoods.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"