Roses growing on Concrete - Knowledgebase Question

Jonesborough, Te
Question by cline_red
I bought a home that I have discovered (amongst a bush of weeds) has a rose bush growing between an old well and the side of our house, through the wall and into our cellar. After pruning it blooms grew heavily for about a month, now it has really grown in about 2 months, but all the blooms are gone and it has gotten huge. I'm not sure how it is growing w/out soil or how to encourage growth???

If you were to dig the rose bush and trace the roots, I think you'd find them deep beneath the concrete and out quite a ways from the plant itself. The roots will naturally grow where there is moist soil. Some roses only bloom in the spring so you may get only a single flush of flowers each year. Pruning it back will encourage new growth and as long as it is getting the water and sunlight it needs, it will bloom when it is programmed to bloom. What an interesting find in your new landscape!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"