seeding rhubarb - Knowledgebase Question

norway, Mi
Question by maranatha917
I planted rhubarbone year, it died, it came back the next year and did ok. This year it is back, and it is already growing seed stalks.I pull the seed stalk off. it isn't growing any bigger is it ok? thanks

Rhubarb grows best in cool weather and it will die down when things get too hot. It will send up a seed stalk when the weather is too warm. Cutting off the seed stalk will usually keep it growing for a few more weeks. I think yours needs a little filtered shade. When it dies down, why not move it to a spot in your garden that gets a few hours of morning sun and then shade from the hot afternoon sunshine? I think you'll see a big difference in its performance. Be sure to plant it in well amended soil so the roots stay moist. Hope this helps!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"