New Japanese Maple / Arce Japon - Knowledgebase Question

spokane, Wa
Question by mschulman
I just planted a Japanese Maple / Arce Japon

0

Some Japanese maples require protection from hot afternoon sunshine and others thrive in full sun. If the leaves are drying out and getting spots, I suspect they are becoming sunburned. Check the tag on your maple and try to find the cultivar name. We can help if we know which cultivar you're growing. In the meantime, it's perfectly normal for landscape trees and shrubs to go through a little transplant shock. As soon as the roots become established, your tree should perk up. And, the sunburn might simply be due to the fact that the tree was growing in a semi shady spot in the nursery. Now that it is getting more sunshine, the leaves are showing their displeasure. It's possible that as new leaves develop they will be better able to handle the sunshine. If so, the new leaves will not develop spots from the sun. If not, the new leaves will develop areas of sunscald - your cue to move your tree to a more protected spot. Best wishes with your new maple.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"