About aerating the lawn - Knowledgebase Question

Fresno, Ca
Question by victoria_vic
I read the lawn care article about how over seeding the lawn is good. My yard is not large and wanted to know if I could aerate the lawn manually. I've seen people use a tool that has a few long spikes that you can press down using foot as if using a shovel. Is this an aerator tool and does HomeDepot have it?

0

The spikes are not nearly as effective as using a core aerator. The holes the spikes make just are not deep nor wide enough to do the job. Even though you have a small yard, it will be worth your investment to rent a core aerator. A core aerator will remove one inch by three inch plugs from the lawn. Leave the plugs on the lawn and they will dissolve in rain or water from the sprinklers. After aerating spread a thin layer of sand or compost over the area and water it in well. The sand or compost plus the soil from the plugs will work their way down into the holes left by the plugs. This will help reduce compaction and give water, nutrients, and grass roots a place to grow. You can then overseed your entire lawn.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"