organic asparagus fertilizer - Knowledgebase Question

Bridgewater, Ne
Question by trust500

I live in New Jersey.

I recently planted new asparagus. They came up,but are small and thin. Do you have any suggestions to help them develop. I prefer organic.

Thank you,

As your asparagus crowns mature they will develop lots of spears and they will be much larger than the ones you got this year. It all has to do with the maturity of the crowns, not the fertilizer you apply. You can spread several inches of compost over the bed and between the plants now. As it breaks down it will provide nutrients to the asparagus plants. And, it will help suppress weeds. Replace the mulch this fall after digging in the old mulch. I use compost as a mulch on my asparagus bed. If you don't make your own compost you can purchase it pre packaged at the garden center.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"