Climbing Roses? - Knowledgebase Question

Newport, Ne
Question by sweener15
I have a backyard where I have a partial shade garden in front of a stone wall. Here and there I have some hardwood trees that I left for fall coloring. I was wondering how well A climbing rose shrub would grow in partial shade and how fast it would grow if applicable? thanks for all your help! Justin S. from NH

I'm afraid shade tolerance in roses is a myth. You'll be encouraging diseases, and a climbing rose will climb but won't bloom. You might consider planting more shade tolerant vines such as Pipevine (Dutchman's Pipe) grows in full sun to part shade; twining; deciduous. Climbing Hydrangea (Japanese Hydrangea-vine, Chinese Hydrangea-vine) grows in light shade to part shade in a consistently moist site; Virginia Creeper grows in full sun to full shade; clinging; tolerates dry sites. Hope one of these suggestions works well in your garden.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"