hibiscus - Knowledgebase Question

Prospect, Co
Question by carlygirl196
i have a small hibiscus plant that i have had for 3 years now and bring inside for the winter. It has growth on it both won't bloom- looks like it has some kind of web on it, not sure what this is. I don't want to loose it . What can I do ? thanks Carly

0

Hibiscus likes heat and sunshine and will bloom best if you place it in a sunny spot outdoors. Since you keep it indoors during the winter months you'll need to gradually expose it to more and more sunshine rather than just take it from indoors and set it out in full sunshine. Start by setting it outdoors in the shade, then move it after a few days to a spot that gets an hour or two of morning sunshine. Keep moving the plant into more and more sunshine. The whole process should take only about a week or 10 days. Once you have it outdoors, hose it down with a strong stream of water. I suspect the webbing you are seeing is evidence of spidermites. These pesky little insects like dry and dusty places so hosing off your plant on a regular basis will discourage them. Be sure to direct the spray on the stems and the undersides of the leaves. Repeat this every week or so during the spring and summer months and I think you'll be able to control the pests. Best wishes with your hibiscus.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"