lilac bush - Knowledgebase Question

Manchester, Ne
Question by sheltie1
I have two lilac bushes in my yard,I planted them 2 years ago but they have not flowered am I doing something wrong. They get sun for part of the day , they are not in full sun,is that the problem? Thanks for your help

0

Lilacs can take up to 7 years to flower! Most don't take that long, though, but I thought I'd at least warn you. Lilacs produce flower buds during the summertime which open up the following spring so you can check your bushes late this summer to see if you can see some little flower buds on the new stems. That's why we recommend pruning in late spring, after the flowers fade. If you prune yours back now they will have plenty of time to develop new growth - and possibly flower buds. It's true that lilacs flower best in full sunshine but if they get at least 6 hours of direct sunshine each day, they should be fine. Hope this sheds some light on the subject. Best wishes with your lilacs!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"