New grass - Knowledgebase Question

Vallejo, Ca
Question by Annp500
Our front yard is full of weeds, empty spots, and little spots of grass. I want a new lawn. I know we have to kill the weeds first and then till the yard. How deep should it be? Also, I heard to put topsoil after tilling it. Do I just place the topsoil on top or place it on top and then till it so it'll mix? I also read something about placing compost; do I place both topsoil and compost?

You can use a vegetation killer to start with. It will take care of anything growing in the area. When the weeds are dead, rototill the area to a depth of 6-8 inches, then rake out all the debris (old weeds, grass, sticks and rocks). Then spread either compost or topsoil over the top (about 3 inches of compost; more or less topsoil, depending upon whether or not you need to build up the height of the area), then rototil it in to a depth of 6-8 inches. Level the area by raking it out. After leveling the area you might want to use a lawn roller one-half full of water to help settle and compact the soil slightly. Then broadcast your seeds, and cover the seeds with a light layer of peat moss or compost to help keep the seeds moist until they sprout. Water the area several times a day to keep the seeds moist and they should sprout in 7-10 days. Good luck with your project.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"