Dying tree - Knowledgebase Question

West Deptford, Ne
Question by balalaks1965
On my front lawn, I have a tree that is slowly starting to dry out and die, and i was wondering if there is a special reason why. I dont know what the tree is called, but the leaves look like the canadian flag kind of leaves. We water it daily and take good care of it, but for some reason it is still starting to die. Is there any medication or treatment that is required to save the tree?

I can't tell from your description whether your tree is a maple or a liquidamber or so other maple-like tree but it sounds to me as though you are over watering. Landscape trees and shrubs need about an inch of water per week. If you don't get that much rainfall per week, you should water your tree. Daily watering seems excessive to me, even for a new tree. The easiest way to supply the right amount of water is to make a watering well or watering basin beneath the tree by mounding up a few inches of soil all around. Fill the basin with water, allow it to drain, then fill it a second time. This concentrates the water directly over the roots and allows it to trickle down, wetting the entire root mass. Once a week should be sufficient - twice a week if the weather is really hot. Try cutting back on water and I think you'll see an improvement in the health of your tree.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"