Winky Columbine - deadheading - Knowledgebase Question

Bayside, Ne
Question by danahedman
We have Winky Columbines, and the flowers have fallen off. But I don't know which stems had flowers and which will still bloom - how can I tell which I should deadhead? and if I don't deadhead and they reseed, isn't that also a good thing, i.e. I may get additional plants?

Thank you.

0

It isn't necessary to deadhead columbines. The spent flower petals will drop off and you'll see a seedpod forming. If you leave the seedpod alone it will spill seeds at the base of the plant which will develop into new plants next year. I leave the seedpods alone. Sometimes the new plants are interesting hybrids, and the flower color is different than the parent plant. But, you can certainly snip off the seedpods if you don't want new plants.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "