squash - Knowledgebase Question

Bakersfield, Ca
Question by partygirl_gu
I have planted my very first vegetable garden this spring. I have been having great luck with everything so far except my squash plants. I have four plants. Only one plant has produced a bloom and it fell off. It looked like it collected to much water in the bloom. That same plants leaves are turning yellow. What am I doing wrong? Please save my squash! Thanks
Guinn

0

Yellowing leaves usually indicates overwatering - or soil that doesn't drain well. As for lack of squash - it's quite normal early in the season. Squash plants develop separate male and female flowers. Usually the first flowers are male and are not capable of producing fruit. But as the vines grow larger they will produce both male and female flowers. When pollen is transferred from the male to the female flowers, the females will develop into fruit. You can identify the blossoms by looking carefully - male blossoms are attached by a straight stem; female blossoms will have a slight swelling just behind the flower petals. This is where the squash will develop. Best wishes with your squash plants!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"