Gardenia tree - Knowledgebase Question

Question by BOOP345
My husband recently purchased a tree gardenia from the Whitehall store. I was thrilled but noticed most of the buds were hanging down and those that were not fully opened were already turning yellow. I went back to the store but all the gardenias were in the same condition. Do you ever check the quality of the plants and with tender loving care can I bring this plant back to a healthy state?

Gardenias are beautiful when they bloom but they have some very exacting requirements for flower bud formation and also for getting those flower buds to open. TLC will do much to keep your new gardenia as healthy as possible, and the right weather conditions will help it develop and open those flower buds. Give your plant direct morning sun or filtered all day sunshine (they tend to wilt in direct hot afternoon sun). Humidity is important to these plants so try misting the plant in the mornings to increase humidity if the air is hot and dry. The flower buds will yellow and drop if humidity is low. Water as often as necessary to keep the soil moist but not soggy wet and feed with an acidified fertilizer such as Miracid or Miracle Gro. I hope your new plant blooms for you soon! Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"