keeping weeds out - Knowledgebase Question

Knoxville, Te
Question by goplgolf1944
Hi I am a begining gardener, I planted a 600 sf garden and most plants are growing well, however I am having a huge problem keeping weeds out, mainly the grassey type.I use cow manure for a top dressing and tilled it under. I would like a control method being a herbiside or other that will not harm my established plants. I live in east tennessee

0

Weeds are a perennial problem in most gardens, but there are a few things you can do. You can pull out the weeds, roots and all and then mulch over the bare soil with 2-3 inches of organic mulch (compost or peat moss) to discourage new weed seeds from sprouting. Mulches are great in suppressing weeds. Or, you can pull out the existing weeds and use a pre emergent product such as Preen. This will keep new weed seeds from sprouting. Or, you can kill the existing weeds with something like FertiLome Over the Top which is safe to use around most plants, but you'll want to read the label to make sure the plants in your bed are listed on the label. Once the weeds are dead you'll want to pull them out and then add a few inches of mulch material over the bare soil to keep new weeds from sprouting. Enjoy your new garden!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"