spider mites - Knowledgebase Question

tarpon springs, Fl
Question by prired77
why do I get spider mites on my roses (in pots) I water well and use a rose food according to directions ?

Spidermites are opportunists and will congregate in areas that are dry and dusty. That's why we find them on the inner branches of plants where rainwater doesn't always penetrate. You can discourage the pests by regularly hosing off your plants, directing the water towards the inner branches and undersides of leaves to rinse them off. You can do this in the mornings so your roses have a chance to dry out quickly (wet plants encourage fungal diseases). You can also use a miticide or a product such as Rose Defense which is neem oil based to take care of the current population of spidermites. Good luck with your roses!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"