Planting Perennials - Knowledgebase Question

Chesterfield, Vi
Question by anike_mckoy
Is it too late to plant perennial flowers? If I wanted to plant day lilies now, when would they come back next year (spring, late summer, etc)? Is it too late to start them from seed? If not, again, when would they come back next year if I planted them now? Should I start the seeds in containers before I plant them, or can I just plant them right in the soil?

You can plant daylilies now and they will flower all summer long. They will die down in the winter months but sprout new leaves and produce new flowers next year. You can grow perennials from seeds but they probably won't flower this year. They will come back next spring, though and should flower their second year. You can plant the seeds directly in the soil. Enjoy your garden!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"