SOD - Knowledgebase Question

Charlotte, No
Question by jhood843
I have two rectangular holes in my driveway that use to filled with rocks. I have removed the rocks and wish to put down some tall fescue sod to match my lawn. How can I make this a success at this point of the season?

Your new sod will establish quickly if you mix some compost into the soil, tamp it down and they lay the sod. You'll want the roots of the sod to make good contact with the soil so either use a lawn roller filled with water to go over the newly installed sod, or simply walk all over it to make sure it is making good contact with the soil. Water it every day for the first week, then every 3-4 days. Once it established you'll need to water whenever it begins to look water stressed. The blades will look thin and the color will darken slightly. When you step on it, it won't bounce back right away. When you do water, water deeply to encourage deep roots (and more drought tolerance). Good luck with your project!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"