trees - Knowledgebase Question

Blanchard, Mi
Question by thelang4
I have a dirt/sand mix soil, what kind of trees can I plant and do I have to do anything special to the soil?
Thanks, Jen

0

If you plant Michigan native trees, you won't need to do anything at all to your soil. The beauty of native trees is that they have adapted to your soils and climate and will thrive. Some to consider include:
Redbud (Cercis canadensis) is a Michigan native tree found in the rich woods and along the streams and rivers in the southern regions of the state. The small, spreading tree reaches a mature height of 15 to 30 feet and flowers with purple-pink blooms in early spring. The 4-inch-long leaves are heart-shaped and initially reddish-purple. The leaves turn a bluish-green in the summer and yellow in the autumn.

Hoptree (Ptelea trifoliata var. trifoliate) is a native of the open dunes along Lake Michigan. The tree is also found on the dry-soil prairies in the southwestern regions of the state. The small tree reaches a maximum height of 15 to 20 feet and has a dense, rounded crown which creates a wide canopy over its slender trunk. The 4- to 6-inch-long leaves are shiny on the top and pale and hairy on the underside. The tree blooms with small, greenish white flowers during June. The flowers appear in clusters and have a strong orange-blossom scent. Hoptree can be planted either alone or in groups.

Common elder (Sambucus canadensis) is a native of the wet and moist regions throughout Michigan. The tree grows to a mature height of 8 to 10 feet with equal width and has an unusually short trunk. The spreading and arching branches have compound leaves of five to 11 leaflets. The tree blooms with white flowers in dense, 8-inch-wide, flat-topped clusters during June and July, followed by purple-black, berry-like fruit. Common elder grows best in moist soils but is also adaptable to dry soils. Plant in full sun or partial shade. Established trees are drought-tolerant and flower more prolifically when given ample water.

Hope one of these suggestions is just right for your landscape.

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"