Violets in the yard - Knowledgebase Question

Oakwood, Oh
Question by spring206b
I have many violet plants in my lawn and invading my flower gardens. How do I get rid of them?

0

Getting rid of violets is no easy task. Established colonies of wild violets are very drought tolerant, due to fleshy underground stems called rhizomes that store water and allow the plants to survive dry conditions. The rhizomes also allow the plants to spread, forming colonies. These extensive perennial root systems are one reason the weeds can be so difficult to control. Hand digging, roots and all is one method; herbicide applications are another. Violets should be targeted for control in fall as they are preparing to go into winter. Plants take in herbicides most readily during this time. Very poor control is the usual result of attempts to control violets during the summer. There are several products available (Trimec, Three Way Lawn Weed Killer) containing 2,3-D. Read the product labels carefully, making sure that violets are listed on the label, and be sure to apply according to label directions. Best wishes with your landscape.

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"