First time gardener.... - Knowledgebase Question

Jacksonville, Fl
Question by chanicereyn
I am 22 with 2 toddlers and I have always wanted a garden since I was young. We now live with my dad who is with the h.o.a and has a little yard. So my question what kind of container could I use to plant us some veggies and fruit?

0

You'll want to start with containers with drainage holes in the bottoms. Fill them with moistened potting soils and then plant whatever flowers, herbs or vegetables your family especially enjoys eating. Flowering plants, including vegetables, will need at least 6 hours of sunshine a day. Leafy vegetables and herbs can get along with only 3-4 hours of sunshine. I'd plant marigolds and dwarf sunflowers for the toddlers. They grow fast and are pretty to look at. You can plant several herbs in a single container but you will want to give your tomatoes, peppers, squash and other vegetables their own containers. Five gallon containers are adequate for tomatoes; three gallon for peppers and squash; one to two gallon containers for onions and herbs. You can plant your starter plants as soon as they are available from the garden center - or you can plant seeds now. Enjoy your new garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "