Cypress Problems - Knowledgebase Question

North Port, Fl
Question by w7aza
I got 2 bushes of cypress almost one month ago and planted them in the front of my garage. They were very healthy from the beginning, but now turns orange color on the bottom(some lower branches). What do you think could be a problem and how can I fix it? Help please!
Thank you very much!
Bella

0

An orange color on the foliage is not a good sign. I think if you bend up on the foliage it will snap because it is dead. Water stress problems can cause the discoloration - either too much or too little water. Too much water can suffocate the roots; too little water can dry them out. It might be that you can save your cypress if you determine how healthy the roots are. Dig down into the soil near the roots. If the soil is soggy wet or there's an odor, the roots are rotting. Dig the plant and prune away the dead or dying roots, then mix some organic matter into the planting hole and replant your cypress. If, when you dig down into the soil near the roots it is dry, you're not giving your cypress enough water. When you water, appy the water slowly so it has a chance to trickle down and wet the entire root mass. You should only need to water once or twice a week, depending upon weather, but when you do water, water thoroughly so the entire root system gets wet. I hope you can determine what's going on with the roots of your cypress so you can take preventative measures!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"