Schefflera plant - Knowledgebase Question

Greenville, Al
Question by marcycook200
My schefflera has develop some kind of dried brown looking bugs under neath the leaves. I don't know what this is, it does'nt move. what pesticide to use for this?

0

Without seeing the plant I can only offer an educated guess. What you describe sounds like scale insects. They look like bumps along the stems and undersides of the leaves and they attach themselves to a likely feeding spot and don't move. They are difficult to control because their hard outer shell makes them less suceptible to insecticides. However, you can dab each of them with a Q-Tip dipped in rubbing alcohol which will dry them out. You can peel them off after a few days. Expect to see more, though, because the females will have produced offspring which will be hard to see until they attach themselves to the plant and begin feeding. Best wishes with your schefflera!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"