gladiola pests - Knowledgebase Question

Montclair, Ca
Question by lisguevara
My gladiola's are finally beginning to bloom, but I've noticed that some of the flowers are getting eating by pests before they bloom. What is eating them? I've noticed very small and black insects on there. What brand insecticed do you recomend? Are the one's eating the flowers the same ones that are stripping some of the leaves? Help!!!!!!

0

I can't tell from your description what the insect pest might be. Earwigs are common on glads. They hide in the crevices of the flowers and the leaves during the day and feed at night. They are long a segmented and have what look like pinchers at the tops of their heads. If this is what you are finding, you can trap the pests quite easily. Take a sheet of newspaper, roll it up and then get it wet. Set it out in the garden in the evening. Earwigs (and sowbugs) will crawl into the newspaper to hide. In the morning you can simply fold up both ends of the roll and toss it in the trashcan. Set a new trap out the next evening. Repeat until no more earwigs are caught. Best wishes with your glads!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"