curly willow - Knowledgebase Question

Sterling, Ma
Question by smrotti
I have a curly willow that I started from a cutting and now it is nearly 5 ft tall with 2 trunks and lots of healthy green leaves...but how do I trim it to keep it full but not too tall?

You can prune in one of two ways. The first is to cut the trunk down to a few inches above the ground every spring. This will encourage lots of new upright stems and will eventually turn your willow into a large shrub. As the shrub grows you can reach into the center and completely remove a few of the upright stems. New stems will grow in their places, constantly renewing the shrub. Or, if you'd like to train yours into a tree, choose the height you would like the trunk and prune off the rest. New shoots will develop just below the pruning cut, which you can shorten as needed to maintain the size of the canopy you desire. Enjoy your curly willow!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"