replanting mini pansies - Knowledgebase Question

Belle Vernon, Pe
Question by gillin88
I bought pansies in a container that I think they are outgrowing. Can you tell me suggestions on what size of planter, dirt amount, etc?! Also, I just found that the dirt has potatoe bugs in it. Can you tell me what that is from and what I should do about it?! Thanks!

If the roots of the plants are trying to escape through the drainage holes in the bottom on the container, they are crowded and need to be repotted. Choose the next size container and fill it with potting soil. Replant the pansies so they are growing at the same soil level as they were in the first pot and water them well after replanting to help settle the soil. The potato bugs, or roly poly's, are in the soil because they feed on decaying organic matter. Usually you can just let them loose when you unpot your plants in preparation for replanting. They don't generally harm plants. They are more interested in the decomposing potting soil. Best wishes with your pansies!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"