Delphiniums - Knowledgebase Question

Belle Vernon, Pe
Question by gillin88
I bought delphiniums that are in a pot. When should I replant them (and tips how to), and if planting in the ground, will they return next year?

Delphiniums grow best in full sun (six hours a day) away from wind, and they like a lot of water in the summer. They can be grown in most soils with good drainage as long as it is fertile and nutrient rich. They don't like to be moved once planted and established so choose a permanent spot in your garden for them. Spring is the best time to plant. Start with a good, fertile flowerbed and dig a hole just slightly larger than the nursery pot. Set the plant in the hole and backfill with soil, then water well to help settle the soil. Delphiniums do not like dry soil. Mulch over the top of the soil with compost or other organic matter to help conserve moisture. Plant your delphiniums three feet apart. Cut the foliage down in the fall after it has been nipped by frost. Your plants will resprout each spring. When the flower stalk fades, cut it down to soil level. A new but slightly smaller flower stalk will emerge and you'll get a second flush of blooms. Enjoy your new plants.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"