soil quality - Knowledgebase Question

Woodbridge, Vi
Question by ismaildost
One of my vegetables bedding area is not doing good. I have strawberry and chilli plants in that area. I am not sure but it may be a quality of soil which is not good. Do you know how to treat the soil? Can I add anything to the soil to improve the quality like lime or anything else or may be i can spray the plants with disease control to kill any disease which may be causing the problem.

0

If the soil is poor you can improve the condition by amending it with compost on an annual basis. Since your plants are already in the ground, try spreading some compost around the plants in the bed and digging it down into the soil. As the compost breaks down it will supply nutrients to the roots of your plants. At the end of the season, when your peppers are finished producing, pull them out and spread more compost over the soil then dig it in to a depth of about 6 inches. I think you'll see a difference in your strawberries next year if you amend your soil this year. Good luck with your plants!

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"