garden soil preparation - Knowledgebase Question

woodridge, Ne
Question by suzisep
can I mix vermiculite into my garden soil? I'm planting the usual veggies. Also, I don't have lots of money, what would be the best mixture in my dirt? I've prepped my garden by myself by separating the little stones and rocks. The dirt is great, but I think it'll turn to

Vermiculite is not a good choice for loosening garden soil. It will float to the surface over time. It's great for potting soil mixtures, but not for garden soil. Instead, use compost or bagged manure to amend your garden soil. If you amend your soil on an annual basis, you'll end up with rich garden loam and a thriving garden. Start by spreading 3-4 inches of compost or aged manure over the soil surface and digging it in to a depth of about 8 inches. Plant as usual and spread 2-3 inches of compost over the top between the plants. This compost mulch will help suppress weeds, slow evaporation and moderate soil temperatures. In the fall, dig the compost into the soil and add a few inches of fresh compost. Repeating this every year will result in a terrific garden bed. Enjoy!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"