Holes in leaves in the garden - Knowledgebase Question

Willmar, Mi
Question by cdiane216
Every year various plants in my veg. garden, and flower garden end up with holes in the leaves. It appears like something has eaten them. Someone told me it was slugs, but this happens even on my very tall plants. Can you give me an idea of what causes this.

Lots of insect pests feed on the leaves of plants. The damage can be caused by beetles, carpenter bees, caterpillars, and even slugs or snails. Without knowing which is the culprit, it's hard to make a recommendation for control. The good news is that most plants can take quite a bit of leaf damage without suffering too much. Try to find the pests by going out several times a day and inspecting your plants, especially the undersides of the leaves. Try looking at dusk, as well. Eventually you'll find the trouble maker. Once you do, collect a few in a plastic baggie and take them into your garden center for help with identification and suggestions for control measures.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"