Pest Infestation - Knowledgebase Question

beaverton, Or
Question by cindycollin3
I do not know the name of my hedge shrub, but it is green and its new growth is a deep red. It is infested with something that is causing black spots. The infestation spreads rapidly to new growth. What should I use to stop the infestation?

Based upon the most popular hedging shrubs in your neck of the woods I'm going to go out on a limb and identify it as a red tip Photinia. The foliage emerges red and then turns green as it matures. Photinia is quite susceptible to a fungal leaf spot called Entomosporium. It can be controlled with preventative copper fungicide sprays in the spring as the leaves are unfolding, and at regular intervals as directed on the fungicide label. Some products registered for use include Banner, Funginex, and Daconil. Best wishes with your photinia.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"