Roses - Knowledgebase Question

Arlington, Te
Question by travisellio
I bought my first rose bush. The first week it was beautiful, I watered it every morning and it was doing great. Then it started to wilt and looked real sick. Overnight, it had spiderweb looking things all over it. I bought bug killer for rose bushes but all of the leaves and roses are wilted and almost dead. I still water it everyday hopeing it will look better, is this a lost cause? Thanks!

0

Daily watering is excessive. When the soil remains too wet it can suffocate the roots, which can cause wilting of the leaves. Spiderweb looking things could actually be spider webs, most likely from spider mites. These tiny little pests can cause stippling of the leaves. You can control them with a strong spray of water from the hose. The bug killer for rose bushes will also take care of them. Be sure to apply according to label directions. I'd cut back on the frequency of watering but when you do water (once a week; twice if the weather is really hot), be sure to apply the water slowly so it can trickle down and wet the entire root mass. Hope this does the trick and your rose bush recovers soon.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "