Raised Garden Bed - Knowledgebase Question

Pescadero, Ca
Question by amozart
I would like to build a raised bed about 4' x 8'. Do you have plans available? Is there a saw that you recommend to cut the wood? (I have never used a saw before, and don't want to hurt myself.) What layers do you recommend, and in what order? Do I buy rock/gravel for the bottom? Thank you.

If you have a choice, I'd go with concrete blocks. They'll be the most permanent; you'll never have to replace them. If you decide to use wood, cedar, redwood, or hemlock would last the longest in the garden. There are also some new plastic wood timbers on the market. They have good reviews, although I don't have any experience with them. If you decide to go with wood, you'll find most of the landscape timbers come in 8' lengths. You can use a hand saw to cut them in half for your 4' sides, or you might be able to have an associate in the lumber department cut them for you. Once you've built the bed and secured the timbers, you can fill the bed with soil or pre bagged top soil. I'd add compost (one third by volume) to the soil or topsoil. You won't need rock or gravel for drainage.

Best wishes with your new raised bed!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Peonies"