New shrubs have spider webs and stunted growth - Knowledgebase Question

Austin, Te
Question by katietelscho
I purchased a few laurustinus and elaeagnus shrubs in April, and I haven't seen any growth and the shrubs seem to be dying. Do you think something is wrong? My backyard is part-shade, part-sun; are they not getting enough sun perhaps?
Additionally, there are spider webs that keep returning after I swipe them out on the laurustinus. Do you have any recommendations for spider control?

Viburnums and elaeagnus grow best in full sun, but will tolerate a little shade. If they are getting more shade than sun, you may need to move them to a sunnier spot in your landscape. Webbing can indicate spider mites. You can usually discourage them by hosing off your shrubs with plain water. Spider mites love hot, dry, dusty places. If that's unsuccessful, you may need a chemical control. Rose Defense Spray by Greenlight is a botanical oil from the seed of the neem tree that smothers the mites but is gentle on the plants.

Be sure to apply according to label directions.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"